Thursday, December 15, 2011

Reflection: Commemorative speech


12/06/2011
           
For this speech, I chose to commemorate the Peace Corps.  I have been entertaining the idea of joining the program for several years and had already felt that I had a decent knowledge base from which I could begin forming ideas for my speech.  Additional research would be beneficial not only for the speech, but also for helping me to continuing shaping my own opinion of the organization and how/if it would be a good fit for me.
When writing my speech, I found the homework assignment that had been assigned to be helpful; unfortunately it took me awhile to think to focus on it, so I failed to touch upon some of the valuable tips in my speech.  The assignment had forced me to apply the principles in the handbook to actual commemorative pieces.  I think that it would have been a valuable assignment if applied to all of the speeches that we have done this semester (probably would have pushed students to use the handbook for more than just the quizzes…potentially could replace quizzes, which would leave extra class time).  From the assignment, I focused on amplifying the virtues of the Peace Corps and tried to establish my personal “relationship” with the program (although I think I failed because the first question asked of me was if I had ever considered joining…I had stated early in the speech that I had and that that was why I felt qualified to deem the Peace Corps commendable).  If I could go back and rewrite my speech, I would have chosen more powerful success story examples, to more strongly unify my audience into feeling a common, impressive sentiment toward the Peace Corps.  I think this issue limited the effectiveness of my speech; I didn’t really feel a moment of connection with my audience, which leads me to believe that it was not a very memorable speech.
I chose to speak on the first speaking day this time.  During my presentation, I felt no pulsing of my heart for the first time; I was unaware of any fidgeting and felt no nerves!  It was a great feeling of comfort.  I am not sure if I appeared more confident, but my lack of physical nerves made me feel more self-assured, which is what really matters; I’m sure one day my outward presentation will reflect my inner composure.

No comments:

Post a Comment