Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Reflection: Persuasive speech (skept)


11/22/2011
           
After my last speech (unconventional wisdom), which I had changed my topic for at the very last minute and felt it resulted in a rough presentation, I had hoped not to repeat the mistake.  For my persuasive speech, I had originally planned on talking about how dieting is a hoax and that all people need to do to “diet” is eat real food (not processed, food-like substances), but then I discovered that Caitlin was going to talk about fast foods and Kingsley was going to talk about buying locally on a budget.  For the sake of capturing the interest of the class and not being repetitive, I changed my topic again (but not quite as last minute as last time).  I chose to talk about the Northern Pass Project not only because I had pre-existing knowledge on the issue, but also because I felt strongly opposed to it and knew that many people were in support of the project (this became evident to me when I almost got into an argument with my roommate’s parents…that moment actually made me realize that the Northern Pass Project would be a great topic to be geared toward a skeptical audience). 
I liked how I approached writing my speech.  Instead of discussing the major reasons that people are opposed to the project, I found out why people support it (which I did not really know at the time and realized that in not understanding the other side, my opinions on the issue were meaningless).  I soon discovered that the reasons were deceiving—empty promises, as I had imagined.  But what I had not speculated was the corporate aspect, that the project is merely a deal between three mega-corporations who are scheming to violate private property rights for the benefit of their private companies—I hope I was able to convey to my audience that if they are successful in obtaining the power of eminent domain, it would serve as a dangerous precedent for future corporate control. 
As far as the presentation of my speech, maybe it was because I was told that I am improving greatly, but I do feel like I have come a long way since September.  I do, however, attribute much of this speech’s success to the fact that we were allotted the first 10-15 minutes of class to practice.  During the practice round I did horribly, which made me a little nervous for the actual presentation; but I got all the stumbling out of my system.  I felt comfortable and didn’t notice any fidgeting; I’m not sure that I will ever be able to stop “um”-ing, but I will continue the fight against “ums” for my final commemorative speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment