Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Reflection: Unconventional wisdom speech


11/07/2011

I had a difficult time coming up with an unconventional wisdom topic.  At first I was going to talk about the personal reward for performing random acts of kindness and how positive actions toward strangers can start a perpetuating cycle of kindness (“pay it forward”).  I questioned the “unconventionalness” of this topic idea, however.  I now think it would have been an acceptable subject, but at the time I did not, so I decided to consider talking about how people tend to search for miracle diets instead of simply eating real foods in moderation.  I drafted an outline and everything, but when I went to the library to work on it I passes some books about animal cognition and I immediately wanted to change my topic to the benefits of owning a dog.  I realized that I could use the diet outline for my persuasive speech instead.  This was this speech-round’s curveball to myself: last-minute topic switch, which inevitably left less time for preparation.
            I am glad I changed topics though; I felt much more enthusiastic and connected with my speech (especially since I had just gone home the previous weekend and had treated myself to some dog-therapy; I was truly feeling the benefits).  Although I do not think that I performed as well as I had on past speeches, based on the question/answer session I think that the audience felt my energy, which I took as a plus.  Because of my compromised preparation time, I feel as though my speech was a bit rough; under-practiced.  My words just did not come out as smoothly as I would have hoped.  For the upcoming persuasive speech I hope to stick to my topic, or at least not change it less than a day before my scheduled presentation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment