Thursday, October 6, 2011

Reflection: Informative speech

10/6/2011

            When forming the list of possible topics we were assigned to make, I decided that I wanted to make my informative speech on Nature-Deficit Disorder.  I had done a lot of reading and research on environmental education in the last few years, and thought it would be relevant for me to explore the problem (NDD) more in depth, as opposed to the solution (environmental education), about which I am already knowledgeable; I would gain more from the assignment if I were to learn something new.  I did enjoy the preparation of my speech more than I had in the past, maybe because I was especially interested in the subject, or maybe because, with the assigned draft outline and revised outline, I was forced to work on it a little at a time and not all at once at the end (as I unfortunately tend to treat all homework assignments in all my classes). 
            Come the day of the speech, I arrived at school only to realize that I had forgotten my note cards at home.  Instead of spending the free time I had between classes practicing my speech as I had anticipated, I had to re-write my cards.  In the future I will remember to rehearse my speech more thoroughly the night before (and not wait until the day-of to make sure I ended under the time-limit).  Because of this, I referred to my note cards too much during my speech.  My nerves this time around were less what I would describe as “pangy” (pulsing, radiating from the inside), and more of shaky nerve that I felt was visible in my hands and extremities.  I also fidgeted my feet a bunch, again.  When Navaiera spoke, she walked around and used arm gestures, and I immediately wished that I had remembered to do that (I had made note of this when she presented her current event speech and liked it then); to me this made her appear (and I imagine feel) more calm and relaxed.  I focused more on trying to speak more smoothly (as I felt Holly had done that day) and did not notice myself saying “um” in every sentence as I felt I had during my current event speech.  Perhaps this focus distracted me from conveying my points efficiently, as I went well over the time limit; I will be sure to have a more narrowed thesis statement next time—this topic was too broad and I had a difficult time omitting information to form a more concise speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment